Alberta’s Online Sales and Delivery Processes
Over the past few weeks, Dutchie has been actively involved in conversations focused on optimizing Alberta’s online sales and delivery processes. After a successful meeting with the AGLC Board and the Ministry of Red Tape Reduction, we’re pleased to say that a grace period will allow existing click & collect online menus to remain as is for in-store pickup.
As a retailer, here’s what this means for your website:
If you're sticking with click & collect: (no online payments or delivery)
- You still have the option to hide sensitive content deemed by the AGLC as inappropriate for minors early. This includes removing images of cannabis, cannabis product descriptions, terpene information, etc. Please contact your Dutchie CSM on how to enable this.
- For the time being, you will not need to implement a hard age gate, unless you wish to receive an endorsement for online sales and delivery from the AGLC.
If you wish to offer online payments and/or delivery:
- To receive AGLC’s endorsement for online sales and delivery, you will need to adjust your website and online menu to adhere to AGLC’s draft policies. For a copy of the AGLC draft policies, please reach out to email@example.com.
- Current “soft age gating” (“I am older than x age”) is not considered reasonable by the AGLC; although it is deemed satisfactory to meet Health Canada guidelines for Ontario and British Columbia. To help you remain compliant while utilizing our service, Dutchie is rolling out a Hard Age Gating feature that will limit minors from viewing prohibited promotional content.
Consumer Hard Age Gate Experience:
Move through Age Gate (“I am older than x age”)
Sign in or Sign up! This is mandatory.
If the consumer has previously been verified, they skip the verification process and move right to the menu.
If not verified, the consumer will see this page:
After following the instructions in the text box, the consumer will proceed with your specific verification process.
Retailer Hard Age Gate Experience:
Retailers must include instructions for consumers to follow to verify their age in the Customers > Menu Banner > Age Verification Banner
Helpful Tip: We've provided a suggested template below
Age verification is now required by Alberta regulators before online shopping for cannabis. You're in luck! It's easy. Here’s how to quickly get verified and continue viewing our online menu:
1. Login or Sign Up
2. [Retailer resource specific] Book the soonest virtual age verification timeslot: [insert calendar app link] or come visit us in-store to get verified. This is a one-time process that just takes a couple of minutes.
3. Once your ID has been verified, refresh this page! Enjoy shopping!
When a consumer requires verification, the shop team member, who has seen the consumer’s ID, must verify their age within Admin.
- Clicking on the Name of the consumer will prompt the Admin to Edit their information and select that the customer has been verified. This will allow the consumer to access the menu and start shopping!
NOTE: “Pending” customers will always be at the top of the list on the Customers Page.
Dutchie will continue to collaborate with the AGLC and the Ministries on our shared vision of protecting the regulated market. We’re committed to providing a reputable solution that is compliant, sustainable, and supported by our dedicated team, while simultaneously educating and informing our retailers. We’ll continue to share updates with you on these matters as they become available.