Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0
Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0 is a setting found in your Store Options.
When this setting is turned on, Greenbits automatically changes the status of a barcode (SKU) to Not For Sale as soon as its quantity reaches zero.
If a barcode's (SKU's) status is Not For Sale, it doesn't appear in search results in the Register, and if the budtender scans it they will require an override PIN to sell the product.
The benefits of this setting are that it:
- Automates the process of removing sold-out barcodes (SKUs) from the Register and reduces the chance that a budtender will sell from the wrong barcode (SKU). You would otherwise need to do this manually for each barcode (SKU) when it sells out.
- Reduces the amount of inventory data that the Register has to load when you start your day, resulting in faster load times and better overall Register performance.
When this setting is turned off, Greenbits automatically changes the status of a barcode (SKU) to Not For Sale only when it has 0 quantity and no activity for 120 days. Learn more about automatic inventory cleanup.
To give a manager or supervisor the permission to override this warning, you must assign their role to the Skip sales below zero warning permission. To do so, you must:
- Go to Settings > Roles.
- Go to the Make Sales permissions.
- Select Skip sales below zero warning. Users with this role can enter their PIN to override the Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0 warning.
How it works
To enable Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0:
- Go to Settings > Store Options.
- Scroll down to the Inventory Options and check the box for Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0.
Greenbits will now mark as Not For Sale any barcode (SKU) that reaches 0 quantity for any of the following reasons:
- A budtender sells the last unit(s) on hand.
- An inventory manager adjusts the quantity to 0.
- An inventory manager converts, splits, or merges the entire remaining quantity into another barcode (SKU).
An override PIN will be required if the budtender wishes to sell an item with a quantity of zero. When the budtender scans the item, the Register will:
- Warn the budtender that selling the item will result in negative inventory.
- Give the budtender the option to continue the sale: Yes or No.
- If Yes, a manager must enter their PIN to proceed with sale.
Selling more units than are available
This override will also be required in a situation such as when the barcode (SKU) has available units on hand but the budtender tries to ring up and sell more than the available units in a single transaction. For example, if you have two pre-rolls left in your inventory, and you add three to an order, Greenbits warns you when you add the third one. You can either cancel the sale or override the warning.
Things to keep in mind
There are a few more important things to know:
- Greenbits recommends periodically going through your 0-quantity inventory and changing the status of barcodes (SKUs) or Products that you'll never sell again to Archived. When an entire Package reaches 0 quantity, close it in Greenbits.
- Unless the inventory is transferred out or closed, you can manually change the status back to For Sale.
- Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0 only affects barcodes (SKUs), not Products.
- Learn more about preventing and investigating negative inventory.