Set up your network for reliable Register operations
Follow these guidelines to get the most out of your Greenbits point-of-sale hardware.
Check your internet connection speeds
Your download speed should be at least 3 Mbps, and your upload speed should be at least 1.5 Mbps. Check your speeds at fast.com.
Use a dedicated network for Greenbits
Work with a networking specialist to set up a separate network that is only for your Greenbits point-of-sale hardware.
Set up a separate network for security cameras, menu displays, music streaming, etc.
If you offer Wi-Fi access to your customers, set up a separate, rate-limited guest Wi-Fi network.
Use a stand-alone, business-grade router
ISPs (internet service providers) often include a "wireless gateway" or modem/router combo unit with your service package. These common devices, and any similar devices, are not supported:
|Internet Service Provider||Device|
|Shaw, Rogers, others||Hitron CGNM-2250|
|Comcast, others||Cisco BWG-DPC3939B|
|Century Link||All makes/models|
|AT&T||Arris NVG Series|
|Spectrum Telecom||Arris DG1670A|
|Time Warner Cable (TWC)||Technicolor TC8715D|
If you have one of the above devices or a similar device from your ISP:
- Set it to "bridge mode". This means it works only as a modem and provides your internet connection.
- Set up a stand-alone, business-grade router and connect it to one of the Ethernet input ports on the ISP device.
- Connect your Greenbits point-of-sale hardware to the router. The router will manage the hardware connections in your store.
Wire network switches directly to your router
If you have Wired Registers:
- Each point-of-sale station should have its own network switch.
- Each network switch should be wired directly to the router, not to another network switch.
Use static IP addresses for Ethernet printers
Greenbits recommends assigning static IP addresses to all Ethernet label and receipt printers. This helps maintain a strong, stable connection, especially if your router reboots after losing power.
- Assign a static IP address to your label printer
- Assign a static IP address to your TSP100III receipt printer
- Assign a static IP address to your mC-Print3 receipt printer
As a general guideline, locate your iPads within 60 feet of your router. If you have difficulty maintaining reliable Wi-Fi coverage at your point of sale, consider using a Wired Register instead.
Does your business have multiple floors or many separate rooms?
Schedule a technician or installer to conduct a site survey so that your Greenbits system is configured correctly and so that all iPads receive a strong wireless signal.
Obstructions like floors, walls, and furniture can drastically reduce the reliability of your Wi-Fi. As much as possible, avoid obstructions between your router and your point of sale area.
How large is your store?
The bigger your store, the greater your Wi-Fi coverage needs to be and the more Wi-Fi access points you need. Here’s an estimate of how much Wi-Fi coverage you’ll need, based on square footage:
|Number of Wi-Fi access points||Square feet of Wi-Fi coverage|
|1||1,500 sq. ft.|
|2||1,500-3,000 sq. ft.|
|3||3,000-4,500 sq. ft.|
|6||9,000 sq. ft.|
Other unsupported items
- Power-line Ethernet adapters.
- Wi-Fi range extenders or repeaters.
- Wi-Fi-to-Ethernet bridges.