Guidelines for working in Greenbits and Metrc
This information applies to Greenbits customers in states that use Metrc. If you are in a state that is in the process of adopting Metrc, refer to the Metrc migration process FAQ instead.
If you have Manual State Link, not all of the information in this doc applies to you. Review the Manual State Link articles for more information.
You must report cannabis sales to your state through Metrc or you could be fined and/or lose your license. You could report sales manually, but Greenbits saves you time and reports sales for you.
After you add your license number and API key to the Traceability page, follow these guidelines for working in Greenbits and restrict the tasks you do in Metrc.
This is a one-way relationship: Greenbits reports to Metrc, but if you make changes to your inventory in Metrc, that change won't be reported to Greenbits.
What should I do in Metrc?
When you work in Greenbits, you don't need to manually report your sales to Metrc. There are a few tasks you will always need to do in Metrc:
- Purchase tags: Purchase tags from Metrc for your inventory.
- Accept manifests: Greenbits automatically imports new manifests after you accept them in Metrc.
- Transfer inventory: If you need to return products or transfer part of a package to another store or processing facility, transfer inventory in Metrc.
You should do everything else in Greenbits. Otherwise, your sales may not report correctly, your inventory may be out of sync, and you may be out of compliance.
What else do I need to know to stay compliant?
Greenbits reports your cannabis sales to Metrc, and your state uses Metrc to make sure your cannabis sales are compliant and accurate.
You may know traceability through Metrc as track and trace, state tracking, seed-to-sale tracking, your state system, or end-to-end trace and track. No matter what you call it, there are a few guidelines to remember to stay compliant once you connect your Greenbits account to Metrc.
- Inventory management: Get familiar with day-to-day inventory management processes and best practices.
- Inventory admin: Follow our guidelines for splitting packages, merging packages, adjusting inventory, transferring inventory, closing packages, and investigating discrepancies between Greenbits and Metrc.
- Labels: Make sure your labels include all required information, and what to do if labels are missing information.
- API key updates: In some cases, you may need to update your API key periodically.
- Metrc permissions: If you don't have the required permissions in Metrc, Greenbits may not be able to properly communicate with Metrc and you could be out of compliance as a result.