FAQ: Oregon Quarterly Tax Report
This article addresses common questions about running the Oregon Quarterly Tax Report:
- How do I categorize a certain item in Metrc?
- Why doesn't my METRC Sales Report match my Oregon Quarterly Tax Report in Greenbits?
- Why doesn't my Oregon Quarterly Tax Report match my Monthly Tax Report in Greenbits?
- Why does a category show a dollar amount sold but 0 quantity?
- How can I see what Packages have mismatched categories between Metrc and Greenbits?
How do I categorize a certain item in Metrc?
Refer to OLCC's Product Categorization Guide or ask your inspector if you have questions about how to categorize a certain item in Metrc. Then, refer to this table for the corresponding tax category and the appropriate Transaction Limit Type to use in Greenbits.
|If the Metrc item category is:||The tax category is:||And the Greenbits Transaction Limit Type should be:|
|Edible||Cannabinoid Edible||Solid Edible or Liquid Edible|
|Tincture||Cannabinoid Edible||Liquid Edible|
|Topical or Transdermal Patch||Cannabinoid Product for Skin or Hair||Topical|
|Immature Plant or Seed||Immature Marijuana Plant||Clone or Seed|
|Non-infused Pre-roll, Shake, or Trim||Marijuana Leaves||Shake/Trim or Flower|
|Infused Pre-roll||Other Cannabinoid Product||Combined Flavored Product|
|Capsule, Combined Category, or Suppository||Other Cannabinoid Product||Solid Edible|
Why is my Metrc Sales Report higher than the Oregon Quarterly Tax Report?
- The Metrc Sales Report includes all sales, taxable and tax-exempt.
- The Oregon Quarterly Tax Report from Greenbits includes only taxable sales.
Look at the Excluded Sales tab in the Oregon Quarterly Tax Report if you want to see tax-exempt sales, such as hemp-cannabinoid products.
Why doesn't my Oregon Quarterly Tax Report match my Monthly Tax Report in Greenbits?
These reports sometimes don't match because they're based on different data sources:
- The Oregon Quarterly Tax Report is based on Metrc item categories.
- The Monthly Tax Report is based on Greenbits Product Type and Tax settings.
Oregon stores should disregard the Monthly Tax Report. This report isn't detailed enough to meet Oregon's tax reporting requirements. It's also not a reliable way to check the accuracy of your Oregon Quarterly Tax Report.
Instead, use this checklist to make sure your Oregon Quarterly Tax Report is accurate:
- Create or edit Product Types in Greenbits so they exactly match Metrc's item categories.
- Assign all Products in Greenbits to the correct Product Types.
- Make sure all items in Metrc are assigned to the correct categories. Use the Information tab in the report to verify this.
- Make sure all Product Types in Greenbits have the correct Is Marijuana and Transaction Limit Type settings. In particular, see FAQ: Hemp products in Oregon.
Why does a category show a dollar amount sold but 0 quantity?
There are two reasons this could happen:
- You have at least one unit-based Product that doesn't have an entry in the Weight field on the Product Details tab. Learn how to fix this.
- An item's unit of measure is weight-based (grams, ounces, or pounds) but is assigned to a category for which the Department of Revenue requires you to report the quantity sold in units/each. Learn how to fix this.
How can I see what Packages have mismatched categories between Metrc and Greenbits?
- Run the Oregon Quarterly Tax Report.
- Select the Information tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet.
This shows all Packages that you sold from during your specified date range, including each Package's Metrc category and Greenbits Product Type.