Set up and accept payments with Greenbits integrated PIN debit
Greenbits' integrated PIN debit solution allows you to connect a payment terminal to your Greenbits Register and seamlessly process PIN debit payments without the manual steps required by a non-integrated solution.
Things to know
- This solution allows you to accept debit cards with a PIN. ATM cards and credit cards will be declined.
- Greenbits does not support refunds back to a customer’s debit card. If you need to refund a purchase made with PIN debit, issue a cash refund.
- Only users with the Manage pin debit permission (under Manage store settings) can enable and manage the settings for integrated PIN debit.
Getting started with PIN debit
If you're not already accepting PIN debit payments, get in touch with our payments team to get started.
If you're already manually processing PIN debit payments with terminals that aren't linked with your Greenbits registers and want to move to our integrated solution, contact Greenbits support.
Enable integrated PIN debit in the Back Office
Once you’ve obtained your Merchant ID and we've enabled integrated PIN debit features for your location, you can choose your settings in the Back Office.
- Click the settings gear and then choose Payment Methods from the Running Your Store section of the sidebar.
- Check the Debit box to enable the debit payment method option on your Registers. This may already be enabled if you're already accepting debit payments through a non-integrated solution.
- Next, select PIN Debit from the sidebar.
- Check the box for Enabled.
- Check the box for Allow tipping if you want the payment terminal to ask customers if they want to add a tip.
- Enter your Merchant ID.
- Optionally, enter a Non-Cash Adjustment Fee.
- This amount will be automatically added to every PIN debit transaction and will appear on customer receipts and in the transaction details on the Activity page.
- The maximum Non-Cash Adjustment Fee is $4.50.
- If you checked the box for Allow tipping, you can enter up to four Tip Percentages that customers can select on the payment terminal in addition to the option to enter a custom tip amount.
- Click Save Settings.
Once you’ve enabled PIN debit, avoid making any changes to these settings while payments are being processed.
These fields are shown but are not editable:
- Receipt Line Item Name must be set to “Non-Cash Adjustment.” This is how the fee appears on receipts.
- Timeout Seconds is the period of time (300 seconds, or 5 minutes) that Greenbits will wait for confirmation from the payment processor before canceling the payment.
Connect payment terminals to your Registers
- Follow these steps to set up and connect each of your payment terminals.
- In the Greenbits Register app, open the side menu and select Settings > Payment Terminal.
- Enter the Serial Number from the back of the terminal. Your terminal may have two serial numbers labeled "SN": a 24-digit version and a 16-digit version. Use the 16-digit version.
- Tap Add.
- Tap the terminal to connect it to the Register. A green check mark indicates which terminal is currently connected. Tap again to disconnect a terminal.
- Repeat for each Register and payment terminal.
Process PIN debit transactions at the Register
Greenbits Register version 2.38 or later is required for PIN debit transactions. Learn how to update your Register.
- Begin a sale and add items as you normally would.
- After tapping Charge, choose Tender with Card.
You must tender the entire transaction amount to the card; split tenders are not supported with PIN debit payments.
- Have the customer follow the prompts on the payment terminal.
- Wait for the terminal to complete the payment. This may take up to 5 minutes. The transaction summary screen appears in the Register app when the payment is complete. Don't try to cancel transactions, close the Register app, or do anything else while waiting for the terminal to process the payment.